The Juice Cleanse Handbook
Before you start your cleanse, prepare your body for the journey ahead. Pre-cleansing helps you get the most bang for your buck! Taking time to pre-cleanse can help ease the detoxification symptoms over the first few days and even set you up for a more effective cleanse overall. Believe us, it’s worth it!
AT LEAST 24-48 hrs prior to your start date, eliminate the following:
- Dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese, eggs)
- Wheat (bread, muffins, scones, pasta, pastries, etc.)
- Meat (Fish, chicken, pork, beef, etc)
- Salt (white or table salt, packaged/processed foods with high sodium content)
- Coffee (Pro-tip: If you’re currently a regular coffee drinker, switch to freshly brewed yerba mate, green tea, or try our Pur-Er Wellness tea!)
**You may reduce and/or eliminate these gradually or all at once. These can all be re-introduced slowly after your cleanse.
Instead of thinking about what you can’t have, think about all of the amazing fresh fruits and vegetables you CAN have before the start of your cleanse! As you eliminate the common allergens listed above, increase your intake of water, fruits and vegetables to start your cleanse off strong. If you need suggestions of things to eat during this pre-cleanse phase, reach out to our cleanse specialists!
Welcome to the first day of your juice cleanse!
A common question on the first day of the cleanse is: Just what order do I drink these babies in? We have a suggested order listed below, but don’t be afraid to break the rules. This is YOUR juice cleanse, after all! Try to drink a juice about every two hours for sustained energy.
Watermelon Chia Pep
For all BYO cleanses… Go with your gut, or ask a cleanse consultant for advice :-)
If you got a hemp milk with your cleanse, have that as the very last drink of the day (besides maybe water).
What about detox symptoms?
As your body begins to cleanse itself of toxins, initial detox symptoms may begin to set in around late afternoon or evening time on this first day. This is all to be expected and embraced! It’s part of the process! These symptoms are normal and usually, the first couple of days are the most challenging. You could potentially experience any of the following:
- Skin break outs
- Body odor
- Flu-like symptoms
- Frequent elimination
- Gas and/or bloating (If this happens, try our herbal colon cleanse!)
Take note of how you feel throughout your day and listen to your body. If you’re tired, feeling weak or uneasy, give yourself a break, literally. Allow yourself to rest!
Here are some other things you can do to help make your juice cleanse more pleasant and effective:
- Take a nap - rest up and allow the your body to cleanse and heal
- Get a massage
- Dry skin brush - feels nice and is very effective at stimulating lymphatic flow
- Drink herbal teas - chamomile, peppermint, rooibos, roasted dandelion root
- Take a sauna! Infrared saunas especially are excellent for assisting in detoxification
- Get outside and take a walk - Anytime! Anywhere! Breathe deeply
- Take a bath with epsom salt (essential oils are great too!)
- Heating pads for sore/achy areas
- Light exercise or yoga - Yoga is great to calm your mind and assist with detoxing
- Chew your juices and drink them slowly! Some people even like to dilute them with pure filtered water
Constantly thinking of food? Dying for something to chew? Detox symptoms too intense? Try eating a piece of raw fruit or vegetable! Stick to one thing at a time. For example, don’t mix carrots and bananas in the same snack. Just eat one or the other :-)
Examples of suitable snacks are:
- A few stalks of celery
- Half a sliced cucumber
- 1- /2 of an avocado (try it with a sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt!)
- Half a banana
- An apple
- A cup of carrot sticks (1-2 carrots)
- Homemade or organic vegetable broth
An important note about your colon: During your cleanse, your system will be dumping a lot of toxins into your colon. If you want to ensure elimination (pooping) or have a history of constipation you may choose to take our Triphala Herbal Colon Cleanse capsules during your cleanse. This Ayurvedic blend of herbs is a very gentle and effective formula for stimulating elimination and may also alleviate gassiness and bloating when cleansing.
This is the day that your initial detoxification symptoms will probably subside, and the cleanse actually starts to feel good. This is the phase in your cleanse process where you may be experiencing more consistent energy and thinking more clearly throughout your day. Plus, your skin is radiating health! Most people experience much smoother sailing from here on out!
You might notice that since you’re not running around so much preparing food, eating and cleaning up, you have quite a bit of time on your hands. Now just may be the time to conquer a lagging project, or start up a new one! Cleansing can clear your mind AND your schedule, causing your productivity to soar!
Here are some other cleanse-supporting activities that you might enjoy:
-Take a detoxifying hot bath with epsom salts and essential oils (Pro-Tip: use grapefruit essential oil to curb hunger and flush cellulite!)
- Dry skin brushing! It stimulates your lymphatic system and helps mobilize toxins in the skin and subcutaneous flesh. Find the right brush at Wheatsville, Whole Foods or Central Market
- Go for a walk outside. Sweet and simple, and you can do it with friends :-) Gentle exercise and fresh air are ALWAYS a good thing.
- Get a massage. Deep tissue massage assists in mobilizing toxins in the deeper layers of flesh.
- Do a parasite cleanse. Say what?! Yes, a parasite cleanse. Look, we all got ‘em. It’s just that too many will wear down your immune system and hinder your digestive processes. Go for an herbal concoction found at Whole Foods or Wheatsville, and follow the instructions. (We know this is gross, but hey, it’s real.)
Now all that’s left to do is kick back and enjoy!
You made it to the last day of your juice cleanse. WELL DONE! We want you to hold on to that glorious, healthy glow you’ve achieved. The trick? Easing off of your cleanse properly. It’s a huge mistake to rush things…. trust us.
Here are some tips for doing things right:
- For the first 3-4 days off of your cleanse, think lots of greens, colorful veggies and fruits! Start the first day off of your cleanse with a green juice, have a green smoothie for lunch, and a vegan soup or salad for dinner. This gives the digestive system a chance to start firing up again at a harmonious pace. We suggest you do this for at least one full day and then add-in cooked vegetables on the second day off of your cleanse. We don't recommend eating meat until the digestive fire has been at work for at least 2-3 days. When you do add meat back in, take it slow, chew well and listen to the signals your body gives you. You may find you don't desire the same quantity you used to.
- Meal plan! Meal planning is your best friend when it comes to eating healthy and staying clean post-cleanse. On the last day of your cleanse, sit down and plan out your meals for the next few days; breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Meal planning can help you avoid unhealthy cravings and potential slips down into the box of cookies.
- Are you Starvin Marvin? Here's one of the best secrets in the health food world! Triggering your stretch receptors. Our stretch receptors send a signal to the brain that it is full and content once you have eaten enough food. So if you eat foods with high water content your stretch receptors will go off faster, and you will have the satisfying feeling of being full. This is why you can eat a whole bag of chips and still be hungry or eat a fourth of a watermelon and feel completely full!
- After a cleanse, your body is like freshly tilled soil waiting for new seeds! One of the greatest seeds you can give it are PROBIOTICS. Kimchi, kombucha, raw sauerkraut, or any living probiotic supplement from a health food store will do.
- Now that you have experienced the power of juice, keep it in your daily life to keep the body clean and well oiled! If you REALLY want to stay clean and healthy make an effort to consume primarily alkaline foods on a regular basis.
- Ask yourself, “What are my long-term health goals?”. Setting specific goals keeps us organized, motivated and inspired to stay clean. List out some personal health goals and a plan to stay on a healthy path after your cleanse.
A clean body gives obvious signals when it doesn't like what you gave it. So be patient with yourself and have a juice or smoothie before you go out to dinner at a place that you know might not have the healthiest options. That way you can order something small, have fun being out with your friends, and not be starving! Just because your diet is changing doesn't mean your social life has to.
If you would like some more advice on staying healthy after your cleanse, feel free to reach out! We are here to help! Good for you! You are giving yourself a delicious juicy hug!
One Day Cleanse
A one-day juice cleanse is a great way to give your digestion system a break, reset and nourish your body with fresh and tasty phyto-nutrients! There are many health crusaders who advocate doing a one-day-a-week juice cleanse to boost the immune system and help relieve inflammation. Plus, detoxification symptoms are not as intense as a multi-day cleanse. Think about it; if you did it for a year you would have 52 days of juice cleansing!
You could also consider doing a one-day juice cleanse every month as a preventative health ritual to boost your mood and support your immune system, just like getting a massage or acupuncture once a month.
Here are some pointers on how to maximize your one day juice cleansing experience:
- Eliminate processed sugars, animal protein, dairy, wheat, coffee, and alcohol for the full 24 hours (maybe even longer!) of your cleanse.
- Drink lots of water (more than you normally would)! This will help with flushing toxins out of your body. **You can even start your day with a glass of hot water and lemon to
stimulate your digestive fire.
- Do a warm water or herbal tea enema in the morning and in the evening to assist in removing toxins from your intestines and colon.
- Allow yourself to rest if you feel tired or go get a deep-tissue massage. Treat yourself!
- Hello sunshine! If possible, get outside and soak up some rays!
- Get your sweat on if you feel energized! Take a yoga class, go for a walk, go to the gym, or even just sit in a sauna! Sweating will also help your body to further remove toxins from your system.
- Chew your juice - gently chewing your juice stimulates oral enzymes to aid in digestion.
- Buy fresh, raw organic fruits and vegetables to help you come off of your cleanse in a safe, effective way.
On that note, it’s critical that you allow your body to come out of your one-day cleanse just as you jumped into it. Otherwise, you’ll undo all of the good you just achieved!
The day after your cleanse eat only fresh fruits and vegetables! Personally, when we break our cleanses we like to start the first day off a cleanse with a green juice, have a green smoothie for lunch, and a vegan soup or a big hearty salad for dinner that evening (but no oily dressing!). For additional suggestions, Elaina Love with Pure Joy Planet has some great recipes to help you off your cleanse!
On your second day post-cleanse, you can begin to add oils, fats and light protein (think turkey, chicken or fish) back into the mix. When you do reintroduce meat, take it slow, chew well and listen to the signals your body gives you.A clean body gives obvious signals when it doesn't like what you gave it. Be patient with yourself!
We are always here to support you through the entire cleanse process! If you have any questions, please reach out!