Frequently Asked Questions
Before you begin cleansing, you'll probably want to know some stuff. We'll tell you what we know based on our long and happy experience with cleanses, but keep in mind we're not doctors. We're very bright, but we're not licensed to give medical advice. That said, we have lots of nutritionist friends and customers who swear by our cleanses, and there's a lot of info online about our ingredients and their benefits...although it's pretty hard to argue with apples and carrots and celery.
What's a Juice Cleanse?
A juice cleanse is a short term, fresh, raw, all liquid diet that is used to assist one in achieving their health goals.
You might have heard the term “juice fast”—we don’t really like it. A fast implies you’re starving your body, which shouldn't ever be the goal. Starving your body taxes it even further and around here we are in the business of building you up in the long run, not breaking you down.
Nourish, don't deprive. A juice cleanse means you still receive plenty of sustenance, but in the form of wholesome, organic, freshly-pressed veggie and fruit juice. This gives your digestive system—including filtering organs like liver, kidneys, and gall bladder—a break from processing heavy proteins, fat, and other components of your diet that take a lot of work to sort out, giving you simply good, clean energy to work with. Toxins in the tissues are able to mobilize and be flushed from the body for good. It takes 80% of your bodies energy to do the digestion dance, which is why you feel like you need a nap after eating a large meal. The moment your body is done digesting it switches over to "self-heal" mode, which is the main point of doing a juice cleanse.
After a juice cleanse, especially one that’s at least 5 days long, you should feel refreshed, energized, and focused. You may notice you sleep better and crave better foods.
Why Should I Cleanse?
People do juice cleanses for all sorts of reasons, from kick-starting a new diet or exercise regime to reducing inflammation or soothing a sluggish digestive tract. With juice cleansing, you get results fast... You're most likely to feel great, lighter, and more clear headed than you ever have before, and you'll shed a few unwanted pounds as well. That said, the only way to maintain these results is with long term changes to your diet and lifestyle. Juice cleansing will help you get amazing results, and fast... but maintaining those results is up to you! Do your research, have a plan, and stick to it. You can cleanse one day a week, three days a month, five days every few months, or even longer cleanses a couple times a year, to help you achieve your goals. Each cleanse should be a spring board to a healthier, better-feeling you.
Most illnesses and diseases can not survive in a clean body. The is the REAL health insurance route. Think of your body like it's a home. You wouldn't want to live in a home that had never been properly cleaned. And you shouldn't have to live in a body that has never been cleansed.
We could go on and on, but we think
“Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead” does it better. This award-winning documentary is about how one man brought his body back from the brink with a 60-day green juice cleanse, and then went on to inspire others to do the same.
How do I start a juice cleanse?
1. Our suggested package is merely a guideline for cleansing. Our packages consist of three quarts of juice, with options for adding on additional bottles of select juices.
2. Choose how long you want to do it for, depending on your schedule and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. 3, 5, 7 and 10 days are all common lengths of time. It is your responsibility to pick up your juice fresh each day for the duration of your cleanse. If possible, it is recommended to cleanse at a time when you can have your typical workload reduced so you can relax and enjoy the process. Especially for the first three days... imagine the first three days as the climb to the top of a hill. Once you reach the top, you get to enjoy a beautiful view, but it takes work getting there.
3. Pick up your juices each day or all at once from your local JuiceLand location.
4. Drink the juice! Space it out over the course of your day, and try to finish it all. Set timers on your phone if needs be to ensure that that you are getting nutrients into your system at least every hour.
(We like to drink yerba maté and/or green tea too—for added energy.)
5. Read through the rest of the FAQ's for more information and advice. We might have answers to questions you don't know you have yet.
Is juice cleansing safe?
Yes, if you do your research and cleanse sensibly.
If you have food allergies, check our ingredients for each product, and of course, let us know—we might share prep space with things you’re allergic to. Also, if you have other special dietary needs or you are breastfeeding, cleansing is not recommended.
If you have any doubts, consult your doctor or other health care provider first.
You know what’s definitely not safe? Eating the way most Americans do.
Which cleanse is right for me?
Our recommended daily cleanse is designed to be a well-rounded juice cleanse that suits most flavor palettes and provides your body with what it needs through the day.
- Beverly Cleary
- Watermelon Chia Pep
- The Fountain
If you have a specific goal in mind or just want to change things up, we highly encourage swapping out juices. The staff at each JuiceLand location will also be available to make suggestions and help customize your cleanse to get the most out of it. Click here for suggestions!
How is your cleanse different from other cleanses?
Our juices are squeezed within a day of when you drink them,and made from 90% organic vegetables and fruit. We use an incredible cold-press machine to squeeze every last drop of raw, enzyme-rich liquid goodness from our produce in a way that retains the highest nutritional integrity. The juice is never heated, frazzled or stored for long periods of time.
You won’t get that from the more expensive, nationally distributed brands. Plus, you’re reducing your carbon footprint by not having them shipped from thousands of miles away.
We offer several different juices to suit almost every walk of life. We have an experienced, educated staff that is ready & willing to answer all of your questions ensure that your cleanse will be a success. We are available via text, email and phone Monday- Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. Let us help you and be your guides. We love it, and no question is too small or silly :-)
Keep cleansing weird!
When should I do a juice cleanse?
Plan for a time when you have a few days before the cleanse to prepare, and a few days after the cleanse to ease back onto a normal healthy diet. Try it with one or more friends for support and encouragement. Also, planning for a time when you are able to relax for the first 3 days is always more pleasurable.
Most importantly, make sure the cleanse doesn’t run into any weddings, vacations, or holidays—only the gnarliest ninja cleansers can withstand cheating during these times. And be warned: breaking any juice cleanse with booze and hors d'oeuvres is a recipe for disaster.
How long should I cleanse for?
We recommend people try to go for anywhere from 5-10 days, at least at some point. Days 1-4 are the hardest, because that’s when you are detoxing the most heavily and adjusting to the new regime. This is also when you are breaking yourself of certain habits and food addictions. But around Day 5, you start to feel really good—in fact, like you could just keep going. So do it! (If you’re going to spend 5 days riding your bike to the top of a mountain, don’t you want to enjoy the hard-earned view and easier downhill trip?)
Cleansing routines that people find effective:
- One day a week, for several weeks or indefinitely
- A three day juice cleanse once a month, every month
- A five day juice cleanse every three months
- Two or three ten day cleanses a year
Remember that these are just options and ideas. Experiment and discover what works best for you.
Are there any side effects that I can expect?
Every body is different, but there are some typical side effects to a juice cleanse that are good to know about and be prepared for. For the the first two or three days, detoxification is at its most drastic and noticeable, as the body adjusts to the new regime. Feeling under the weather, having a headache, fatigue, and minor skin blemishes are all common symptoms of detoxification, and should be embraced! This is your body doing the work!
The more pleasurable results of a juice cleanse are soon to follow, and usually include healthier looking skin, clear eyes, better awareness of the effects of certain foods on the body, clarity of mind, improved digestion, an overall sense of well-being positive mood, and even weight loss if doing a long cleanse and following it with a properly planned diet afterward.
Can I work out while cleansing?
Sure thing, jellybean. But take it easy—no marathons or anything. A juice cleanse should be respected as it's own physical event.
That said, light exercise like jogging, walking, swimming, hiking, pilates, etc. is excellent for stimulating lymphatic movement and encouraging healthy detoxification.
In general, if you plan to exercise, save a sweeter juice for immediately afterwards. The sweetness indicates that the juice is rich in carbohydrate, and these will replenish your glycogen stores and help you maintain sustained energy levels.
Can pregnant women cleanse?
It is not recommended for pregnant women or nursing mothers to do a juice cleanse.
Do I have to include a green juice?
Here at JuiceLand we strongly suggest people consume at least 17 oz of green juice each day while cleansing. It provides a low-calorie source of minerals, vitamins and chlorophyll that other vegetable and fruit juices don't provide, and it's also highly alkalizing and anti-inflammatory, even more so than other juices. The Tigerlilly, Cocolilly and Applelilly are all considered green juices.
Do I keep taking my supplements while cleansing?
Most supplements don't digest that well in absence of solid foods, and some individuals even report a stomach ache after taking supplements on a cleanse. For these reasons, we don't really suggest taking them for the short period of time you're cleansing.
The fresh juice found in your cleanse is made from pounds and pounds of fruit and vegetables and loaded with vitamins & minerals. If you take supplements during your cleanse it is recommended that they be a food-based. On an extended cleanse you may opt to supplement with D3 & B12.
Do I need to pick up my cleanse package everyday?
We recommend that you pick up a 6-pack each day of your cleanse so it's as fresh as possible. It's better for you that way! If necessary, you're welcome to pick up multiple days at once but we recommend sticking to a max of 3 days at a time.
Do I need to prepare?
It is a good idea to prepare your body before a cleanse. Check out our pre-cleanse tips here.
I just picked up my juice. Is there a special order that i drink these in?
Our recommended cleanse
- Beverly Cleary
- Watermelon Chia Pep
- The Fountain
That said, everybody is different, and you might desire to drink them out of order. Totally fine.
Just remember, if you have a Hemp Milk, save that for very last!
Is cleansing for everyone?
Pregnant women, individuals who are working through their eating disorders, and people under the age of 17 shouldn’t do a juice cleanse just yet.
The elderly and the chronically ill should seek the guidance of a qualified medical practitioner before embarking on a cleanse.
Is it okay to snack on anything during my cleanse? What?
We recommend a 100% juice cleanse. When your body spends energy to digest food the juice cleansing process is slowed down. If you need to eat during your juice cleanse, choose organic fruits, vegetables or soaked nuts and seeds such as the following:
- Soaked or Sprouted Almonds
Stick to one food at a time for the best results.
It's done! How do I transition off the cleanse?
You made it to the last day of your juice cleanse. WELL DONE! We want you to hold on to that glorious, healthy glow you’ve achieved. The trick? Easing off of your cleanse properly. It’s a huge mistake to rush things…. trust us.
Here are some tips for doing things right
- For the first 3-4 days off of your cleanse, think lots of greens, colorful veggies and fruits! Start the first day off of your cleanse with a green juice, have a green smoothie for lunch, and a vegan soup or salad for dinner. This gives the digestive system a chance to start firing up again at a harmonious pace. We suggest you do this for at least one full day and then add-in cooked vegetables on the second day off of your cleanse. We don't recommend eating meat until the digestive fire has been at work for at least 2-3 days. When you do add meat back in, take it slow, chew well and listen to the signals your body gives you. You may find you don't desire the same quantity you used to.
- Meal plan! Meal planning is your best friend when it comes to eating healthy and staying clean post-cleanse. On the last day of your cleanse, sit down and plan out your meals for the next few days; breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Meal planning can help you avoid unhealthy cravings and potential slips down into the box of cookies.
- Are you Starvin Marvin? Here's one of the best secrets in the health food world! Triggering your stretch receptors. Our stretch receptors send a signal to the brain that it is full and content once you have eaten enough food. So if you eat foods with high water content your stretch receptors will go off faster, and you will have the satisfying feeling of being full. This is why you can eat a whole bag of chips and still be hungry or eat a fourth of a watermelon and feel completely full!
- After a cleanse, your body is like freshly tilled soil waiting for new seeds! One of the greatest seeds you can give it are PROBIOTICS. Kimchi, kombucha, raw sauerkraut, or any living probiotic supplement from a health food store will do.
- Now that you have experienced the power of juice, keep it in your daily life to keep the body clean and well oiled! If you REALLY want to stay clean and healthy make an effort to consume primarily alkaline foodson a regular basis.
- Ask yourself, “What are my long-term health goals?”. Setting specific goals keeps us organized, motivated and inspired to stay clean. List out some personal health goals and a plan to stay on a healthy path after your cleanse.
A clean body gives obvious signals when it doesn't like what you gave it. So be patient with yourself and have a juice or smoothie before you go out to dinner at a place that you know might not have the healthiest options. That way you can order something small, have fun being out with your friends, and not be starving! Just because your diet is changing doesn't mean your social life has to.
If you would like some more advice on staying healthy after your cleanse, feel free to reach out! We are here to help!
What if I can't finish all of my juices for the day?
That's okay! Everyone is different and it really is amazing how filling juice can actually be. You are not disrupting your cleanse in anyway by not finishing all of your juices. It just means you may have extra to cleanse for an extra day if you want to.
Most likely though, by the third or fourth day your appetite for juice will pick up and you'll find it easier to drink it all.
What If I experience really low energy during the cleanse?
It is 100% normal and healthy to be tired when you cleanse. Your organs are working very hard to clean out and rejuvenate themselves during this break you are giving them, and the side effects can include a healthy bit of lethargy. If you can swing it allow your body to go through this process and chillax, for optimum results. We suggest lying down FLAT ON YOUR BACK for at least 20 minutes a day while cleansing. Your body will thank you.
Keep in mind that all stimulants tax the liver and adrenals. Taxing your liver while doing a juice cleanse is like taking a shower with a rain coat on! To each his own though... In case you do need to power through a project during your cleanse and need a boost of energy, your immediate options are freshly brewed Mate (aka Yerba Mate) and green tea. No sweeteners, no creamer!
Other substances that actually improve your energy by supporting better health include E3 Live, Ginseng, Coconut Water, Ashwagandha, Moringa, Adrenal Blend Tinctures, Holy Basil (aka Tulsi), Wheatgrass and Gynostemma. These next-level "stimulators" have been been known to activate the sympathetic nervous system to give the body energy and help to control brain focus and clarity without taxing the body in any way.
It is rare to be tired once your digestive system is properly and truly cleaned out. However, if you are still tired on day three or four, it may be due to not drinking enough juice OR even a back up in your colon. If you feel like your colon could use a deep cleaning, we highly recommend having a colonic or doing an enema. While not necessary, doing a colonic before, during and/or after your cleanse is an EPIC way to get the most out of your experience.